Knee pain can be debilitating, affecting our ability to perform everyday activities and enjoy a fulfilling life. When conservative treatments fail to provide relief, knee replacement surgery emerges as a promising solution. At Vivekananda Hospital, we take immense pride in being the best knee replacement hospital in Hyderabad, offering advanced knee replacement procedures performed by the top knee replacement surgeons in the region. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the procedure, surgery details, and recovery associated with knee replacement in Hyderabad.
Understanding Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement, also known as knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure designed to relieve pain and restore function in patients with severely damaged knee joints. The surgery involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and replacing it with an artificial joint made of metal and plastic. This artificial joint mimics the natural knee’s function, allowing for smooth and pain-free movement.
Knee Replacement Procedure
- Preoperative Evaluation: Before the surgery, you will undergo a thorough evaluation, which may include blood tests, X-rays, and a discussion of your medical history. This assessment helps your healthcare team tailor the procedure to your specific needs.
- Anaesthesia: Knee replacement surgery is performed under either general anaesthesia, which puts you to sleep, or regional anaesthesia, which numbs the lower half of your body while keeping you awake.
- Incision: The surgeon makes an incision over the knee joint to access the damaged area. The size and location of the incision may vary based on the surgical approach used.
- Reshaping the Bone: The damaged bone and cartilage are carefully removed, creating space for the artificial joint components.
- Implant Placement: The artificial joint components, typically made of metal and plastic, are securely attached to the bone. These components may include a metal cap for the lower end of the thigh bone (femur) and a plastic tray for the top of the shin bone (tibia). In some cases, the back of the kneecap may also be resurfaced.
- Closure: The incision is closed with sutures or staples, and a sterile dressing is applied.
- Types of Knee Replacement: There are different types of knee replacement procedures, including total knee replacement, partial knee replacement, and bilateral knee replacement. The choice of procedure depends on the extent of knee damage and the patient’s specific condition.
- Surgical Approach: Surgeons can choose from various approaches, including the traditional open approach or minimally invasive techniques. Minimally invasive surgery involves smaller incisions, resulting in potentially faster recovery and less scarring.
- Implant Selection: The type of knee implant used depends on factors such as your age, activity level, and the surgeon’s recommendation. Advances in implant technology have led to better durability and performance.
- Length of Surgery: Knee replacement surgery typically takes 1-2 hours, but this can vary based on the complexity of the case.
Recovery and Rehabilitation
Recovery from knee replacement surgery is a gradual process. Here are some key aspects of the recovery journey:
- Hospital Stay: After the surgery, you will spend a few days in the hospital to ensure proper wound healing, manage pain, and begin physical therapy.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is a vital component of recovery. It helps improve strength, flexibility, and mobility in the knee joint. Your therapy plan will be tailored to your specific needs.
- Pain Management: Pain and discomfort are common after surgery, but your medical team will work to keep you comfortable with pain medication.
- Mobility Aids: You may need crutches or a walker initially to support your mobility. These aids will gradually be phased out as your strength and balance improve.
- Home Recovery: Upon discharge, you will continue your recovery at home. Follow your surgeon’s and physical therapist’s instructions carefully.
- Exercise Routine: Regular exercise, including walking and specific knee-strengthening exercises, is crucial to achieving the best results from your knee replacement.
Selecting the Best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Hyderabad is a critical decision that can significantly impact your surgery’s success and your overall experience. Look for a surgeon who is board-certified, experienced, and has a proven track record of successful knee replacement surgeries. At Vivekananda Hospital, we are proud to have some of the top knee replacement surgeons in Hyderabad, who are known for their expertise and commitment to delivering the highest quality of care.
Why Choose Vivekananda Hospital for Knee Replacement in Hyderabad?
As the best knee replacement hospital in Hyderabad, Vivekananda Hospital is committed to providing patients with world-class care and the latest advancements in knee replacement surgery. Our multidisciplinary team of experts, including top knee replacement surgeons in Hyderabad, works together to ensure the best possible outcomes for our patients.
Knee replacement surgery is a transformative procedure that can help you regain mobility, reduce pain, and enhance your quality of life. Choosing the right hospital and surgeon is crucial to the success of your surgery. At Vivekananda Hospital, we offer the top knee replacement surgeon in hyderabad, with top-notch surgical expertise and a patient-centric approach to care. If you’re considering knee replacement surgery, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for a consultation and start your journey towards a pain-free, active life.